IFF is now accepting applications for the fall 2019 kickoff of the Stronger Nonprofits Initiative (SNI) in Detroit. This intensive, 14-month-long cohort program’s primary goal is to help nonprofit leaders of color build their capacity through a series of financial management workshops, access to subsidized technical assistance, and more. It is open to nonprofits led by people of color and/or deeply serving low-income communities of color in Detroit. The deadline to apply is September 25, 2019.
About the Program
Participants will work to improve aspects of their organizational performance alongside a select group of peers whose nonprofits are providing vital programs and services to build on the forward momentum in Detroit and transform the city.
SNI Detroit is made possible through the generous support of JPMorgan Chase & Co as part of Chase’s longstanding commitment to increasing economic opportunity in Detroit. IFF is administering the program and partnering with Fiscal Management Associates (FMA), a nationally-known consulting firm that specializes in helping nonprofits build their fiscal management capacity, to deliver workshops and technical assistance.
The program is ideal for organizations poised and ready for change, and willing to devote meaningful senior staff time to the program. Participating leaders will:
- Build their core financial management skills through a series of workshops and peer learning opportunities
- Work on customized leadership development goals through one-on-one coaching
- Access targeted professional services in real estate planning and financial management to implement improvements
- Get connected to flexible financing for facility-related projects that meet their organization’s needs
- Engage in a community of learning and practice, where they will share, collaborate, and learn from other organizations’ best practices
To be eligible for this program your organization must:
- Be a 501(c)(3) tax exempt public charity in good standing with executive operations based in Detroit
- Be led by leaders of color and/or serving low-income communities of color
- Have a paid, full-time permanent CEO/Executive Director
- Have at least two paid staff on the leadership team who are people of color
- Have at least two members of the leadership team ready and willing to actively participate in a program spanning 14 months. It will begin in October 2019, with additional meetings and events spaced out across the period, including:
- A series of all-day financial management workshops (10/29/2019, 12/5/2019, 1/14/2020, and 2/18/2020)
- Individual coaching
- Peer learning and networking
- Development of an action plan for implementation
- Participation in the evaluation of the cohort, including feedback on workshops
- Individualized real estate consultation services
There is no minimum or maximum operating budget size, but priority will be given to organizations for which this program reflects a critical investment in capacity building.
Digital-Only Application Process
Follow the steps below to apply for SNI Detroit. Please note that applications will only be accepted digitally via email.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements listed above, click the red box on the right hand side of this webpage that reads “Apply to join the Stronger Nonprofits Initiative.”
- When you click, you will be able to download the SNI application in MS Word.
- Type in your responses to the application questions in Word and save a copy.
- Send an email to SNIDetroit@iff.org by September 25, 2019 at 4 PM Eastern that includes the following attachments:
- Your completed application
- A current organizational chart
- A list of board members, including occupations and relevant experience
- Your organization’s most recently completed audit or financial review
- Your current year budget, including the most recent actual results (against your budget) and projections through the end of the year, if available
You will be notified of your application’s status by October 14, 2019, and the first workshop will take place on October 29, 2019. If you have questions or concerns, please email IFF at SNIDetroit@iff.org. We look forward to receiving your application!